FREELANCE CURATOR POSITIONS 2023
Do you love working in the visual arts? Do you want to contribute towards a fairer society?
Use your curatorial skills to make a difference:
- Delivering exciting projects
- Engaging and empowering artists who face disadvantage and discrimination
- Working with a great team.
At Satellite Projects we open up opportunities to extend and consolidate artists’ professional practice. We provide free exhibition opportunities to enable artists to build their networks and work towards a sustainable career.
- You will be a freelance curator with a tertiary qualification in Visual/Fine Arts and relevant curatorial experience.
- You can demonstrate your ability to lead an exhibition project including planning, research, installation and other practical and curatorial functions.
- You will have excellent written communication skills including exhibition essay writing.
- You can demonstrate your understanding of diversity and cultural awareness.
- You will have an understanding of the need to market and promote exhibitions and the various marketing avenues and platforms.
- You will be willing to join the Satellite Projects’ community and enjoy working as part of a team.
Satellite Projects is a not-for-profit organisation that provides free and supported exhibition opportunities to artists who face disadvantage and discrimination. We have four exhibitions planned for 2023. For each exhibition we can pay a curatorial fee and artists’ fees.
Curatorial and Artists’ Fees
There is a modest exhibition budget of $2K – $4K per exhibition, depending on the scale of the show. This budget includes the curator fee, artists’ fees and exhibition expenses.
The scale of the exhibition will be somewhat informed by the characteristics of the venue and also the curator’s capacity to deliver within timeframe. The scale and split of the budget across the expenditure items (curator fee, artists fees etc) will be negotiated.
For the exhibition program key responsibilities include:
- Planning and implementation:
- Research the nominated exhibition theme
- Identify appropriate artists to participate in the exhibition
- Research and prepare a short essay to accompany the exhibition
- Liaise with exhibiting artists regarding all aspects of the exhibition, including uploading their details and artworks via Satellite Project’s artists registration portal.
- Liaise with the venue regarding all aspects of the exhibition and associated event/s.
- Be the main point of contact for logistics and other communications.
- Install the exhibition, including “bump-in” and “bump-out”.
- Prepare material for marketing of the exhibition.
- Evaluate the process.
- Provide a written report to Committee of Management.
- Mount the exhibition in accordance with our exhibition and curatorial policies.
- Identify artists who might be included in future exhibitions
The role reports to the Vice President. The final design of the exhibition and selected artists will be approved by the Committee prior to any commitment to artists.
How to apply
Please send a covering letter (one page only) and a brief CV. (one page only).
In your covering letter, please address the Key Responsibilities and the criteria listed under the heading About You.
Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
For further enquiries please contact email@example.com